Material PROBABILITY Maximum and Minimum Temperatures Search the Internet for U.S. climate data. Choose the city in which you live. Click on the tab that reads “Daily”
1. Prepare a spreadsheet with three columns: Date, High Temperature, and Low Temperature. List the past 60 days for which data is available. 2. Prepare a histogram for the data on high temperatures and comment on the shape of the distribution as observed from these graphs.
3. Calculate ? and S.
4. What percentage of the high temperatures are within the interval ? – S to ? + S?
5. What percentage of the high temperatures are within the interval ? – 2S to ? + 2S?
6. How do these percentages compare to the corresponding percentages for a normal distribution (68.26% and 95.44%, respectively)?
7. Repeat Parts 2 to 6 for the minimum temperatures on your spreadsheet.
8. Would you conclude that the two distributions are normally distributed? Why or why not?